tax credits

The Comprehensive Guide To Tax Credits In 2022

This article is things related to tax credits - the amount of money that taxpayers can deduct directly from the amount of taxes they owe the government.

December 30, 2021

Spread the love

A tax credit is a money amount that taxpayers can deduct directly from the amount of taxes they owe the government. Tax credits, unlike deductions, lower the amount of tax owing rather than the amount of taxable income. Governments may provide a tax credit to encourage a certain activity, such as the replacement of older appliances with more energy-efficient ones. Other tax credits are aimed at decreasing the overall housing expenditures of low-income people. HMRC sends out a packet to anybody who received a tax credit award in the tax year that recently finished — for example, 2020/21 this year. It’s critical to examine the information you get with caution. This post provides details on how to manage your tax credits.

What proof do you need for tax credits?

tax credits

If this is your first time using the service to manage tax credits, you’ll need:

  • Tax credit login: A user ID and password for the Government Gateway – if you don’t have one, you may create one when you use the service.
  • A permanent National Insurance number.

You must also show proof of your identification:

  • Details of your tax credit claim
  • Your P60
  • One of your last three pay stubs
  • Your passport details from the United Kingdom
  • Information on your credit report (such as loans, credit cards, or mortgages)
  • Information obtained from your self-assessment tax return (in the last 3 years)
  • Your driving license is from Northern Ireland.

When you sign in, you’ll be given access to your tax account, which you can use to monitor and modify your HMRC records.

If you wish to obtain a driving license, let’s practice our free Driving Theory test practice to get familiarized with the format as well as the questions of the real test then pass the exam with a high score.

How to claim tax credits

When should you make a claim?

Apply as soon as you realize you’re qualified so you can receive all of the funds you’re due. You can apply for tax credits at any point during the year.

If you are aware that your income may decrease,

If you know your income will drop to a level where you’ll be eligible for tax credits, apply right away. For example, if you learn that your income will decrease in six months, you can file a claim now. Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit have distinct income levels.

Tax credits are usually backdated up to 31 days from the beginning of your application.

How to make a claim

Tax credits have been replaced with Universal Credit. If you already get tax credits, you can only apply for Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit. By reporting a change in your circumstances online or by phone, you’ll need to update your current tax credit claim. If you are unable to apply for tax credits, you may instead apply for Universal Credit. If you and your partner are State Pension age or older, you may be eligible for Pension Credit.

How to renew tax credits

If you’re claiming tax credits, you’ll receive a renewal pack with instructions on how to keep them. You must renew your tax credits if the first page has a red line over it and reads “reply now.”

If it has a black line and reads ‘check now,’ you should double-check your information. You won’t have to do anything if your information is valid; your tax credits will be renewed automatically.

If your circumstances change or something in your pack is inaccurate, you must notify HMRC.

If you don’t renew by the deadline

A statement will be issued to you (TC607). Your tax credit claim may be recovered if you contact HMRC within 30 days of the date on the statement, and you will not have to pay anything back.

If you contact HMRC after the 30 days has passed, they will ask you to explain why you were late – known as ‘good cause’ – before considering restoring your claim. HMRC will notify you how much you’ll collect within 8 weeks of getting your renewal if your claim is restored.

If you do not contact HMRC after getting the message, your tax credits will be stopped, and you will be required to repay the tax credits you have received from April 6, 2021.

You won’t be able to file a fresh tax credit claim if HMRC stops paying you.

Instead, you may apply for one of the following:

  • If you’re under the age of the State Pension, you may be eligible for Universal Credit (or your partner is)
  • If you (and your partner) are over the age of the State Pension, you may be eligible for Pension Credit.

Contact HMRC

If you want to contact HMRC by phone or post, do so. 

  • The deadline for renewing your tax credits has passed you by
  • You’ve renewed your tax credits, however, your reward notification contains an error.

You’ll need the following items:

  • Your  renewal pack (if you have one)
  • Your National Insurance number
  • Information on any changes in your situation
  • Total income for you and your partner in the previous tax year

Read more: How To Apply For A National Insurance Number?

Can tax credits be paid into someone else’s account?

tax credits

There are three conditions in which you could be able to handle someone else’s tax credits:

  • When you’re an authorized intermediary asking about someone else’s claim with the tax credit office
  • When you accept complete responsibility for the claim of someone else
  • When they are unable to handle their affairs, such as when you claim tax credits for your kid under the age of 16 and their baby if they are both living with you, you are an appointee. In this situation, you will receive full tax credits.

You must submit a TC689 form to HMRC to become an authorized intermediary. The authorization is valid for 12 months, and HMRC typically processes the form in two days. By writing to the tax credit office, the approval can be canceled.

Appointees are typically used on behalf of individuals who are seriously incapacitated or mentally incapable of managing their tax credits. You can seek to be an appointee by filling out a tax credit claim form and explaining why the individual is unable to complete and sign the form themselves.

Does working tax credit affect other benefits?

Payments of Child Benefits are unaffected by any tax credits you get, although other benefits, such as Housing Benefits, are. You could get less if you earn tax credits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit

You can’t obtain tax credits and claim Tax-Free Childcare at the same time.

Universal Credit

Your tax credits will be terminated if you:

  • You or your partner file a Universal Credit claim (even if your claim is not approved)
  • You decide to live with a partner who has filed a Universal Credit claim.

HMRC will send you a letter (called your ‘award review’) after you apply for Universal Credit. This will show you when your tax credit claim came to a close.

You will not be able to claim tax credits after they have expired.

If your application for Universal Credit is approved, you will get your first payment in around 5 weeks. You can request an advance if you need help paying your bills or covering other expenses while you wait.

Maybe you need: Universal Credit – Everything You Really Need To Know

Other help you might qualify for

If you qualify for tax credits, you may also be eligible for assistance with:

  • Medications and other medical expenses (you can check if you qualify)
  • If you’re pregnant or have a child under the age of four, you should take vitamins, milk, and meals.
  • Pregnancy expenses – you may be eligible for a £500 grant (known as a ‘Sure Start Maternity Grant’).
  • Additional fees, including school meals, clothing, transportation, and trips
  • Fees for court, legal fees, and prison visits
  • Your council can help you with house repairs.
  • Costs of heating and energy

To qualify for additional assistance, you may need to show proof that you are eligible for tax credits. As proof, you might display your Tax Credits award notification. You can show your TC 603 R form instead if your tax credits are routinely renewed. If you don’t have one of these documents, contact HM Revenue and Customs.

FAQs – Tax credits

How much money will I get?

The amount of money you receive is determined by your circumstances and earnings. The amount of child tax credit you’ll get is determined by your income, how many children you have at home, and how much money you spend on daycare. If you have a handicapped kid, you may be eligible for a higher child tax credit. You don’t have to work to get the child tax credit.

In 2021-22, the baseline amount of working tax credit is £2,005, although you may receive more or less. Your earnings and the number of hours you work determine your payouts. If you have children, you may be able to collect additional money since you’ll be eligible for the working tax credit’s childcare element. If you are a handicapped worker, you may be entitled to the disability element working tax credit.

£500 one-off tax credit boost

You may be eligible for a one-off payment of £500 if you’re part of a working household that gets tax credits. When the temporary boost in working tax credit expires on April 5, 2021, the new payment will be introduced to give further help. You may be eligible if, on March 2, 2021, you were receiving one of the following:

  • Working tax credit 
  • You were qualified for the child tax credit and the working tax credit, but you did not get a payment since your income was too high.

tax credits

When do you get your tax credits?

You have the option of receiving your tax credits once a week or every four weeks. If you’ve submitted a new claim, it might take up to five weeks to be processed. While you wait, you’ll get an ‘award notification’ letter in the mail informing you of the day your first payment will be made. When there is a bank holiday, you will normally get paid early. If you want to know when your next payment is due and how much it will cost, go to the HMRC website and log in to manage your tax credits. Contact the tax credit helpline if your payment is late.

What if HMRC overpays me?

People who get tax credits are occasionally overpaid by HMRC. This may appear to be good news, but HMRC may need you to repay the additional funds, which could cause complications. To prevent becoming in debt, you should notify HMRC as soon as possible if you believe you have been overpaid.

Overpayments can occur if you don’t provide HMRC with accurate information or if you’re late in informing HMRC of a change in your circumstances that would lead to a reduction in your payments – for example, if your kid moves out but you continue to receive money for their upkeep. If HMRC makes a mistake or fails to act on the information you’ve provided, you might be overpaid.

You can challenge having to pay back the excess money if you believe HMRC made a mistake. Fill out this form on the HMRC website to protest a tax credit overpayment.

Are tax credits being replaced? 

Universal Credit will eventually replace working tax credit, child tax credit, income-based jobseeker’s allowance, housing benefit, income support, and income-based employment and support allowance in the United Kingdom.

You may have already been registered in Universal Credit, depending on where you reside. If that’s the case, you won’t be able to claim tax credits at the same time since Universal Credit will cover the money you’d get from tax credits.

The only exceptions are if you have three or more children or if you or your spouse has reached pension credit eligibility age (this is the age you qualify to claim your state pension).

The above are details about tax credits and how to manage your tax credits. We also addressed some frequently asked questions which may make you clear about tax credits. Hope you find this post useful. Thank you!