header bg

Scan QR code or get instant email to install app


Which of these is needed before you can use a vehicle on the road legally?

A A valid driving licence.

Using a vehicle on the road illegally carries a heavy fine and can lead to penalty points on your licence. You MUST have
+ a valid driving licence
+ paid the appropriate vehicle excise duty (road tax)
+ proper insurance cover.

Related Information

When it comes to driving a vehicle on the road legally in the UK, there are several important steps you must take before you can do so. These requirements vary depending on what type of vehicle you want to drive and where exactly in the UK you plan to drive it.

The most basic requirement for any driver is that they have a valid driver’s licence issued by either Great Britain or Northern Ireland, as well as insurance cover for their chosen vehicle. You will also need an MOT certificate if your car was first registered after 1st March 2021; this is an annual safety check which ensures that all vehicles meet minimum standards set out by law. Additionally, some drivers may be required to register with DVLA (Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency) and pay both Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) - also known as ‘road tax’ - and Congestion Charge fees when applicable.

If your car has been modified from its original state then further documentation may be needed such as approval from VOSA (Vehicle & Operator Services Agency). This includes modifications like changes made to steering systems or brakes/suspension components etc., which require formal approval before being used on public roads within the UK legal system boundaries. Finally, if your vehicle emits more than 120g/km CO2 emissions then Londoners will need a Low Emission Zone permit too!

To use any kind of motorised transport legally in Great Britain or Northern Ireland one needs at least:

- A valid Driver's Licence

- Insurance Cover

- MOT Certificate

- DVLA Registration (if applicable)


- Congestion Charges (if applicable)

- Approval From VOSA For Modifications Made To The Car And finally LEZ Permit If Your Car Exceeds 120g/Km CO2 Emissions In London


Ahmed Ahmed

1 year ago


Shane Ebanks

1 year ago

Great studying tool!

Peter Turner

1 year ago


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *